Earlier, Gmail allowed you to set-up only one email signature per email alias. So, if you use the same Gmail account for various purposes, it wasn’t possible unless you follow some workarounds. Only if you use the “Send email as” feature, it was possible to add an email signature per email alias but that too had limited options.
But not anymore! Gmail has rolled out a feature to set-up multiple email signatures for one email account along with customizations.
Create and use multiple signatures in Gmail
Here is how to quickly set-up multiple signatures in Gmail:
- In Gmail, click the gear icon in the top-right > Settings > Go to the General tab.
- Scroll down to the Signature section.
- Click + Create new button. Name new signature by giving a Signature name and click Create.
- Enter your signature content in the input text-box and format if you want. Scroll to the bottom and click Save changes.
- If you wish to edit your signature name, you can by clicking the edit icon to the right of the created signatures > Enter your new signature name > Done.
- You can also delete the created signatures by clicking the delete icon to the right of your created signatures.
How to use different email signatures for new emails and replies
In addition to creating multiple email signatures, you can customize your email signatures based on the email type such as new emails, replies or forwards. These options are present under the same Signature section itself:
- Under the Signature defaults section, first, select the EMAIL ADDRESS for which you need to customize from the drop-down list.
- Choose from your saved signatures from FOR NEW EMAILS USE and ON REPLY/FORWARD USE drop-down lists.
- Scroll to the bottom and click Save changes.
That’s it! You can use the above how-to to make customizations to your email signatures in Gmail. One bummer is that all these above settings apply only to the web version. In mobile apps, you need to create a separate mobile signature that you cannot customize. Hope Google fixes it. Happy emailing!