Smart Reply, already available in Inbox by Gmail and Allo, now works with Gmail too. As the name suggests, Gmail Smart Reply scans the email you get and suggests three responses. You are free to edit the suggested responses or send it directly. For more detailed information, here are the steps:
- Open the email you wish to reply.
- Scroll down to the bottom of that email.
- Out of the three suggested responses, select the one that is most appropriate and tap on it.
- The reply screen will open. If you need to edit the response, you can and then tap Send.
— Google (@Google) May 17, 2017
Do note that, Gmail doesn’t show suggested replies for all the emails you receive.
How to turn off Gmail Smart Reply feature
Here are the steps for turning off Gmail Smart Reply in Android and iOS:
- In the Gmail app, tap the hamburger menu icon and then, Settings.
- Tap your email account.
- Uncheck the Smart Reply option in Android or toggle it in iOS to turn off.
For behind the scenes look at how this feature works, check out the Google Research Blog.